Thursday, November 30, 2017

Why the Typical Book Tour Is Hurting Your Book Marketing Efforts


Why does it sound like I’m knocking what we’ve come to know as the typical book tour, especially after I’ve been spending the past few years singing the praises of virtual book tours? It’s simple. I’m a marketer, and I know when a marketing tool has run its course and it's time to step things up. In my professional opinion, traditional book tours are no longer the ideal book-marketing tool for authors. Here’s why:

Your Readers Are Tuning Them Out

As a marketing professional, I make it my business to track engagement stats – particularly when it comes to social media. Lately, I’ve noticed a steady decline in book tour engagement. Why? Because readers are beginning to tune out anything titled “Tour, Blitz and even Cover Reveal”. Again…why? Because they’re coming to expect the same old, tired copy and paste post.

Google is Punishing Bloggers for Posting Copy & Paste Tour Posts

There’s no doubt about it – when it comes to site rankings, Google is king. Duplicate content hurts a website or blog’s Google site ranking – A LOT. Typical copy and paste tour posts are indeed duplicate content. Book bloggers who slap up copy and paste posts and call it done, during a tour stop, are posting duplicate content. It’s as simple as that.

WordPress.com is Shutting Down Bloggers Who Publish Copy & Paste Tour Posts

Book bloggers, using WordPress.com (the free platform, not the private domain .org platform) need to be super aware of this. WordPress.com takes a very strong stance on copy and paste tour posts. Not only do they consider these posts duplicate content, they consider them SPAM, and that, my WordPress.com blogging friends is a violation of the WordPress.com TOS. They can shut you right down in a second and there’s nothing you can do about it. All your hard work is gone, never to be seen again.

Some people think WordPress.com is now actively going after bloggers who publish copy and paste book tour posts because they have an ulterior motive – to get you to purchase a private domain through them. Whatever their motivation, copy and paste tour posts can very well get your WordPress.com blog terminated without warning.

I’ve been keeping a close eye on these trends and I knew that changes needed to be made in the way that I promote authors. It’s why I’ve very recently restructured how I market authors with online events. You can read more about my new Book Marketing package here. You can read about my new Author Marketing package here. If you’re an author, looking for a better, more original way to market yourself and your books let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment