Monday, August 1, 2016

Where I Get My Writing Ideas Guest Post by Author Kate Porter

Today we welcome Kate Porter to the My Book Tour website. Kate is the award-winning author of several popular published novels. Kate has plenty of great information to share about her writing, her books and her life so let's get started!


Author Kate Porter

Where do I get my story ideas? I’ve gotten story ideas while walking my dog, chatting with friends, a random comment in a crowded restaurant. Not all of my ideas develop to the point of putting them in writing but each one can lift my mood and bring a smile to my face. Sometimes, they can bring a few tears to my eyes as well depending on where the story might lead.

For my debut novel, Secrets in Bethlehem, the combination of a memory of a conversation with a friend, a show on The History Channel, and a random question asked by a co-worker, all came together at just the right time. I’d lived in Bethlehem, PA for several years and it felt like the right setting for a romantic suspense with a hint of science fiction tossed in.

The idea for Black Harvest was spawned when I heard a news report of a young mother whose young daughter had gone missing. Combining that heartbreaking event with an urban legend, motivated me to write the mystery of a desperate single mother’s search for her daughter who had disappeared while they were on a road trip.

When the idea for Chase Nightly, L’Uccisore came to me, it began as a parody of the vampire-related movies, television shows, and books that had started sweeping across the country. A humorous look at vampires and vampire slayers rather than romanticizing them. But, as the process began another inspiration came to me as I sat on the patio, sipping a glass of iced tea and brainstorming the characters. Each character that was developed within the storyline, lead to another possible story and the Team Nightly urban fantasy series was born. It was as though the characters had taken on lives of their own and I was just along for the ride.

It is amazing and it’s fun to see which idea will develop into a story and which one will simply drift away. I like to think that they are like the wind. You never know where it will come from, where it will go or what will be riding on it.

I love to write. It’s that simple. I hope others enjoy my stories and share them with their friends.

I enjoy meeting other writers who like getting together to brainstorm, my inbox is always open at kate@kate-porter.net.

ABOUT KATE PORTER

Kate Porter has had one true passion, even as a young girl: writing. Poetry and short stories were her pleasure and her escape while growing up on a small farm approximately fifty miles south of Indianapolis. 

From her first short story printed in her high school newspaper at the age of fifteen, until the publication of her first full length novel, SECRETS IN BETHLEHEM, in the summer of 2012 she has dreamed of being an author. 

As a two-time winner of the Indie Book of the Day award, Kate has explored different genres in her writing career and has an eclectic collection of works to her credit consisting of romantic suspense, mystery, and an urban fantasy series. She has studied fiction writing at Greenville Tech, in Greenville, SC and traveled to Georgia for a writing workshop. Kate was featured in WOMAN'S DAY magazine and again in the Greenville News and her hometown newspaper in Spencer, IN.

Kate's novel, Black Harvest, has not only received 5 stars from Reader's Favorite, but has been awarded the 2014 New Apple Book Award Medal for "Mystery". 


CONNECT WITH KATE PORTER




No comments:

Post a Comment