Monday, July 11, 2016

Author Michael Phillip Cash Chats with Readers About Being An *Overnight* Success

My Book Tour hosted virtual book tours not so long ago for three of Michael Phillip Cash's books, "The Battle for Darracia""Pokergeist" and "Witches Protection Program"

We LOVE Michael's books and we were wondering what he's been up to in the months following his tours. Well, it seems Michael's been up to A LOT of really cool and wonderful things. We asked him to write a guest post and here's what he had to share with us. 


“An Overnight Success”
By Michael Phillip Cash

Michael Phillip Cash Author
I've wanted this for so long. It's been a dream of mine since I began writing on a yellow note pad in junior high. I, officially, have a literary agent. Wow. Sounds amazing. I'm in the club. I did it. I got noticed and it's quite an interesting story. 

A few months ago, I received a post on Facebook from an agent in London who was interested in representing my books. I was thrilled with the prospect because I never really pursued getting one. A few query letters here and there but I was too busy writing to officially seek out an agent. So, I said yes. He emailed me the contracts to sign. 

A few months before that I was reading a book called "How to sell a Screenplay in Hollywood" by Syd Field. It was written in the late 80s and he talks about a new movie called "Top Gun" coming out with their producers Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer. In or around the middle of the book, he interviewed a high-powered entertainment attorney. I said to myself, I'm going to reach out to her when I get an agent. That's exactly what I did. 

I emailed her introducing myself and my line of 14 best-selling books. Not ten minutes after I emailed her, she called my cell. Just the way she said "Hi Michael" I felt like I knew her for decades - she was my kindred spirit. She said she would love to read the agent’s contracts but before she did, she would like to introduce me to her friend in New York - someone who is more local to me (I live on Long Island). 

That person was a veteran in the literary world. I spoke with him and he asked that we meet for lunch. One week later, I was at a Brooklyn gastropub with this newly acquainted friend who signed me after we finished our bacon cheeseburgers. 

That day, the high-powered entertainment attorney signed me too. I failed to mention that she also represents The Simpsons and Spongebob Squarepants. Besides my kids being born, it was one of the best days of my life. 

People congratulated me. Some people said I was lucky. A number of people actually called me "an overnight success."

It took me 15 years and one lunch to get an agent and entertainment attorney. That's not really overnight. 

For those of you out there who don't have an agent and so desperately want one, wait. When in doubt, just wait. People don't see the hard work and years of toil you put into your books. People will feel you are lucky for getting to this point. They will call you an overnight success. 

Nothing happens overnight. Nothing. 

I don't believe in luck. I believe in opening as many doors as possible and enjoying what you do. Those people you are seeking will come to you when you least expect it. https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif

ABOUT MICHAEL PHILLIP CASH

Michael Phillip Cash is an award-winning screenwriter and novelist. He attended Long Island University and used its beautiful campus as a backdrop for The History Major. He’s written 11 novels including the best-selling Brood X, Stillwell, The Flip, The After House, Witches Protection Program, and Monsterland.

Michael resides on the North Shore of Long Island with his wife and two children. 

CONNECT WITH MICHAEL PHILLIP CASH

2 comments: