Monday, December 7, 2015

Snow Job by Debbie Brown Book Tour Stop with Guest Post and Book Review



  • Paperback: 260 pages
  • Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (September 28, 2015)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1517489261
  • ISBN-13: 978-1517489267


SYNOPSIS:

NY Divorce Lawyer Sara Lindquist steps out of her office to clear her head on Tuesday at lunch. She finds herself sitting on the ground with Jim, an ex-army medic, turned park ranger standing over her, offering assistance. She soon realizes that she's no longer in NY, but in Colorado, and Tuesday is long gone. Jim's team, all guys he's served with, jump in to try and help her out, but they soon realize that she has stepped into something bigger than any of them had imagined.Someone has it in for her, and she can't figure out who or why, but as shots ring out and things heat up, she's now running for her life. Sarah finds herself dodging bullets, crawling through dirt filled tunnels and acting as bait for the bad guys.The mere mention of blood has her stomach doing flip-flops, but she has to harness her inner strength to not save Jim when he is shot.As the story progresses, Jim and Sarah have no choice but to trust one another with their lives, and we find a bond forming between the mismatched pair. Is this bond strong enough to bring them together in the end?


ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

All her life, Debbie has spun stories in her mind, watching the characters come to life. After working as a nurse, teacher, martial arts instructor, artist, and CIC officer in the Canadian military, her life reads like a story itself. Since graduating from the Institute of Children’s Literature, she is finally devoting herself to writing these stories down and taking us all on a ride we won’t quickly forget.

AUTHOR GUEST POST:


"Making or Taking Time to Write"

- by Debbie Brown

My youngest turned two a few days ago, and I have yet to sleep through the night. Her older brother and sisters had long since done so, but sleep is fleeting for my 6th child. Never before had I lost sleep over a colicky baby, a teething baby or a baby that demanded to be nursed every hour or two…all night long. Nope…not ever. So it would seem as though this one is cashing in on all those unused hours. (I didn’t know you could do that!)

At home, we eat organic and buy whole foods, so 98% of all preparation is from scratch. Far from being a time-savor. It is a choice. I homeschool, also by choice, and the group we belong too has activities every week.  (We have apple picking, a visit to the botanical gardens (to see the pumpkins), the planetarium and bio-dome all lined up between now and the Holidays. I work part time on evenings and weekends.  Even more time is taken out of my schedule to prepare lessons and then to wax and iron my uniform. Then there are everyday household chores and activities…all done before I can even think about sitting down to write.

Once I do make it in front of my computer, I realise how long it’s been since my last blog post, tweet or Facebook update. Sigh, not to mention the ton of emails waiting patiently for me in my inbox.
This weekend, we are out in the bush with our staff cadets, getting them ready for our unit’s upcoming expedition. I wonder and worry how my daughter will fare, but I have little choice. Though I have to admit that this might be the closest to getting a full night’s sleep I’ll have had in a long while…and I am really looking forward to that. (Oh! In case you are wondering what the heck I’m talking about…I am a Captain, second in command of an Army Cadet unit, and have been a member of the Canadian Armed Forces for over 15 years.) Needless to say, that once I do get back, I’ll need a day or so to recover.  I’m not 20 anymore, but I’m sure my sleepless nights are to blame for the fatigue.

So, throw all these things into my schedule, and as you can see…my writing time is far from abundant. But wait! All is not lost, because my 5th novel is about to make an appearance in the world. I guess that means that somewhere along the line, through stolen moments, I was able to write. I can confirm that, YES, my hard head and deep desire to create would not let me give up, and it drove me to write. Sometimes it was no more than a sentence because of the nutty schedule I keep, but every little bit adds up. If you do read Snow Job, let me know what you think about it.
Sure, I’d love a PRIVATE office, you know with little or no distractions, an endless supply of hot cocoa (recipe found at the back of Snow Job), and designated (yet flexible) writing hours. As I write this, my 2-year-old is flipping out…sigh. I have to go put her to bed now…and wait until she falls asleep so I can crawl out in the dark of night and steal a few minutes to write.

Never give up. Don’t wait for the right time or the perfect conditions to allow yourself time to write…just write. Write what you can, write when you can. It’ll pay off in the end.



Susan Barton's Book Review



Sarah Lindquist is a NYC divorce attorney with a busy career and little time for a social life. When she wakes up, battered and bruised, in Colorado she has no idea what happened to her. If it weren’t for two ex-military men, Sarah would have froze to death in the snowy mountains – exactly the intention of her unknown assailants. She’s convinced by Jim, one of the men who came to her aid, to stay with him while he and his team figure out who wants her dead and why.

Debbie Brown has written an action-filled, quick read that has several engaging elements woven together. Snow Job includes suspense, mystery and romance, so it has something for just about everyone. Sarah is a likable character and I found myself anxious to find out who was trying to kill her and why. The author’s writing is light and breezy, which made me read through this book quickly. Yet, the story is nicely developed and well executed.


5 of 5 Stars, Review by Susan Barton




No comments:

Post a Comment