I recently reached out to romance writer and award-winning novelist Judith Kohnen to ask her how she stays motivated when writing. Judith is the author of the acclaimed Mandy Story romance series. She shared some wonderful information with us so read on...but don't forget to scroll to the bottom of the page to enter for a chance to win this GORGEOUS DaVinci Beads Musical Bracelet and a signed print copy of For the Love of Mandy:
FIVE WAYS TO STAY MOTIVATED WHILE WRITING (OR WHILE DOING ANYTHING THAT NEEDS TO BE COMPLETED).
by Judith Ann Kohnen
So many things can throw us writers off guard as we attempt to finish our masterpieces – or so we hope that’s what the work becomes once we’re done with it. The trick is getting it done.
Here are five sure ways to create more motivation, discipline, and dedication concerning your writing (or actually concerning ANYTHING you hope to achieve):
- FOCUS. By this, I’m not talking about focusing on your computer screen or on the paper you’re writing on, or if it’s housecleaning you’re hoping to complete, it’s not the toilet brush in hand that needs your focus. It’s the task or element of desire that needs your attention. You can’t have your mind everywhere, worrying about bills or the leaky faucet, or wondering what to fix for dinner. The magic with “focus” lies in knowing that LIKE ATTRACTS LIKE. So, whatever you’re focused on, whatever you’re thinking about most, and whatever you’re feeling inside, that’s what you’re going to get more of. If you’re focused on getting the writing done, or some other dream project you desire, or even to complete your housework, you MUST focus on your desire and stay focused. Read on for tips on how to begin to accomplish this.
- LOVE. There is no greater thing than love, so what better way to “attract” something that never fails? Whatever you’re doing, whatever you’re trying to achieve, there must be love in it, some bit of passion that can drive you forward. We writers can say we love to write, but it’s not the same as being “in love” with our writing and focusing love onto the work in front of us. We can lose our zeal when ideas aren’t flowing as we want them to, so this is when you have to turn to ways that will have you loving and “feeling” more of that love so you can put your best foot forward.
- CREATE. So, if the other two ways are failing you (and you can be sure they will from time to time), and you’re feeling absolutely in a rut, unmotivated, and you’re not getting done what you need to have done, you begin to create ways to get you out of that rut. One sure way I find that works is to create a goofy and fun song to sing with lines that are so ridiculous and silly, it makes you laugh while you’re singing it. The goal here is to “shift” your negative energy into more positive energy. When we laugh and feel good inside, our energy changes and lifts. Whatever can place a smile on your face, or lift your spirits in some way, find it and experience it. Put on some music that gets your body moving and your senses whirring with fun and love energy.
- DECLUTTER. Your home is your life, and whatever is happening in your life affects the mind, thus affecting how effectively we think and create our desires. If your workspace is cluttered, your mind will be cluttered. If you’re working in a space where the energy is negative and not flowing because of all the junk (think about the corners of a room where cobwebs gather and dust gets trapped because energy has to shift against it as it’s trying to flow), you’ll get little done. If energy keeps having to shift around all your junk and clutter to flow, you, too, are in the midst of corrupted and negative energy and it’s affecting how you perform each day.
- VISUALIZE. See yourself reaching the end of your task or project as though it’s already completed. Visualize yourself moving forward with persistence. See yourself as the INNER you. The one who wants to come out to play and give to the world. You could actually sing about your success to strengthen your visuals. So, with melody you might sing (and dance to the tune every time you break to go to the bathroom), “I’m reaching the end of my project, oh yeah … I’m achieving my dream, ‘cuz I’m a mean-machine … This is how I do it … love to sock it to it … zip-zippity day … I’m gonna have my way … do-dah-do-dah!” To assist myself in completing my first book, I would visualize it already in book form, see myself at a table autographing those books and handing them out to interested readers. Meanwhile, I was singing “I feel good, my novel is perfect now. I feel fine …” Anyway, you get the picture! Most of all, BELIEVE IN YOU and believe in dreams come true.
Judith Kohnen is the author of One Chance, One Moment and the recently released For the Love of Mandy – Books One and Two of The Mandy Story. A nine-time award-winning author, Judith hopes to continue to inspire readers with stories of hope, healing, and entertainment.
*TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS SPECIAL PROMOTIONAL OFFER*
All books in The Mandy Story series will be promotionally priced at just .99 beginning February 13 and ending February 20.